With the number of classic cars sold at auction every year increasing, Barnebys, an online search platform which specialises in art, collectibles (cars, wine, memorabilia) and antiquities, has selected the ten most expensive cars ever sold at an auction.
The top ten are:
1. Ferrari 250 GTO, 1962, sold for US$38.115 million at Bonhams in 2014
2. Ferrari 335 Sport Scaglietti 1957, sold for £35.711 million at Artcurial in 2016
3. Mercedes Benz W196 1954, sold for $29.650 million at Bonhams in 2013
4. Ferrari 290 MM par Scaglietti, 1956, sold for $28.050 million at RM Sotheby’s in 2015
5. Ferrari 275 GTB:4/S N.A.R.T. Spider, 1967, sold for $27.5 million at RM Sotheby’s in 2013
6. Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale par Scaglietti, 1964, sold for $26.4 million at RM Sotheby’s in 2014
7. Aston Martin DBR1, 1956, sold for $22.555 million at RM Sotheby’s in 2017
8. La Jaguar D-Type de 1955, sold for $21.78 million at RM Sotheby’s in 2016
9. Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Lungo Spider, 1939, sold for $19.8 million at RM Sotheby’s in 2016
10. Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider, 1961, sold for $18.5 million at Artcurial in 2015
According to “The Wealth Report” published by Knight Frank, classic cars are, in the long-term, a better investment than art, and have shown a progression of 334 percent over the past ten years.
|RATE THIS ARTICLE|
THIS WEEK'S TOP STORIES
PAM (Private Asset Managers) and its sister website PAMonline combine to provide "...the best guide available to the leading firms in private client fund management" (FINANCIAL TIMES). PAM compares managers on a level playing field by key data such as fees and charges, minimum investment thresholds and so on.